Upon successful completion of this Programme, students should be able to:
1. analyze the structure of language and the impacts language can have on society and culture in the context of Hong Kong;
2. reflect critically on the nature of language, and the issues of language as they impact on societal / cultural processes;
3. apply effective communication skills in their work places in their role as language professionals;
4. formulate generalizations on the processes and strategies involved in making discoveries in their respective fields of specialization;
5. (for students in the stream of general linguistics) analyze the structure of language, generate innovative linguistic analyses, reflect critically on the social, cultural and psychological aspects of language use, and apply such knowledge in their work;
6. (for students in the stream of translation and interpretation) apply a range of conceptual tools and skills learned to enhance their ability in generating creative solutions to translation and interpretation tasks, and reflect critically on the multifaceted issues involved in translation and interpretation; and
7. (for students in the stream of language studies and applications) apply a range of conceptual tools and skills learned, with a focus on state-of-the-art language information technology, to enhance their ability and efficiency in generating creative solutions to language tasks, and reflect critically on the multifaceted issues involved in the applications of language studies. Alternatively, apply a range of concepts and skills to language learning and its related pedagogical applications, and to enhance students the ability to be exposed to language acquisition and teaching in global contexts.