Eng · 繁體 · 简体

Department-based Majors Allocation

(applicable to students admitted to the normative 4-year degree curriculum in 2017)

Students admitted to the Department-based normative 4-year degree curriculum will enter either the Linguistics and Language Applications-Major or the Translation and Interpretation-Major offered by the Department of LT after completion of the First-year study. To carry out the process of Major Allocations, students are categorized into two groups: the top 40% and the other 60%.

The top 40%

The top 40% of students, who have satisfied the criteria listed below, will have a free choice of either one of the two majors.

  1. An outstanding cumulative grade point average (CGPA) at the end of Semester B of the First-year study;
  2. No failure grades in any course; and
  3. Completion of at least 30 credit units in the First-year study, including the following courses required by CLASS and the Department of LT.

The other 60%

The other 60% of students will be allocated to a major of their choice, subject to (i) the availability of place and (ii) meeting of the following selection criteria set by the two majors.

Linguistics and Language Applications-Major

  1. CGPA at the end of Semester B of the First-year study (60%);
  2. Grade for LT1201 'Introduction to Linguistics and Language Applications' (15%);
  3. Grade for LT1202 'Discovering How Language Works in a University Setting' (15%); and
  4. First priority in choosing the major (10%).

Translation and Interpretation-Major

  1. CGPA at the end of Semester B of the First-year study (60%);
  2. Grade for LT1301 'Introduction to Translation' (15%);
  3. Grade for LT1202 'Discovering How Language Works in a University Setting' (15%); and
  4. First priority in choosing the major (10%).

 

Enquiry: LTenquiry@cityu.edu.hk

Page last updated: 11 October 2017