Eng · 繁體 · 简体

News & Events

News & Events Home
 News and Events Archive
Research Seminar "The Wangchuan Villa and the Spiritual Acadia of Traditional Literati Artists: A...
Jump To:

Topic:  Research Seminar "The Wangchuan Villa and the Spiritual Acadia of Traditional Literati Artists: A Study of Wang Yuanqi's (1642-1715) Paintings after 1700"
posted itemPosted - 24/08/2009 :  14:17:27
City University of Hong Kong Dep

Department of Chinese, Translation and Linguistics
Research Seminar

The Wangchuan Villa and the Spiritual Acadia of Traditional Literati Artists: A Study of Wang Yuanqi's (1642-1715) Paintings after 1700

Presented by

Ms. Selena Shen Wang

University of Pennsylvania

Date: 31 August 2009, Monday
Time: 4:15 - 5:15pm
Venue:
B7603 (7/F, Blue Zone), Academic Building, CityU

Abstract

In this presentation, I examine a series of paintings by the Qing literati painter Wang Yuanqi (1642-1715). As a representative of the so-called “orthodox school”, Wang considered himself the orthodox heir of the genuine Chinese painting tradition of more than one thousand years. I will start with one of Wang’s most important paintings, “The Wangchuan Villa,” a handscroll based on the estate of the Tang poet and painter Wang Wei (ca. 701-761), followed by the illustrations of a group of Wang Wei’s poems. From analysis of Wang Yuanqi’s interpretations of the Wangchuan Villa and Wang Wei’s poems, I will try to provide a theory for the change of themes in Yuanqi’s later years and reveal his methods of organizing words and images in his paintings.

Speaker

Ms. Selena Shen Wang is a Ph.D. candidate in the Department of East Asian Languages and Civilizations at the University of Pennsylvania, with Chinese art as the focus of her studies. She graduated from the Peking University in China in 2000, major in Chinese Language and Religious Studies. In 2003, she obtained her Master’s degree of Art History and Museology in the Boston University and then continued her graduate studies in the University of Pennsylvania for the doctoral degree. In her Ph.D. dissertation, she examines traditional literati painting of the early Qing Dynasty (late 17th to early 18th centuries), focusing on Wang Yuanqi (1642-1715), one of the best-known elite artists in the Kangxi period (1661-1722).

~ CTL Staff Only ~

CTL Technical Support

Enquiry: LTenquiry@cityu.edu.hk