Eng · 繁體 · 简体

News & Events

News & Events Home
 News and Events Archive
CTL Seminar [4:30pm 13/02/2006]: "Extreme Linguistics: My Raras from South-West China", by Dr. M...
Jump To:

Topic:  CTL Seminar [4:30pm 13/02/2006]: "Extreme Linguistics: My Raras from South-West China", by Dr. Matthias GERNER
posted itemPosted - 01/02/2006 :  14:36:29
City University of Hong Kong Dep

City University of Hong Kong Department of Chinese, Translation and Linguistics Research Seminar

Extreme Linguistics: My Raras from South-West China

Presented by

Dr. Matthias GERNER

Date: 13 February 2006, Monday
Time: 4:30pm - 5:30pm
Venue: B7603 (Lift 3, 7/F, Blue Zone), Academic Building, CityU of HK

Abstract

Extreme Linguistics is a new rapidly developing branch of Typology that assembles extraordinary language data from around the world. The leitmotif of this new linguistic brand is that extreme language properties teach us as much about human language as do language universals. Languages of the Chinese realm belong to the isolating morphology type. Scarce morphology is the reason for a number of extraordinary and rare language phenomena related to word order and iconicity. In this talk, I will give a selective overview of my recent field research in SW Chinese minority languages.

Speaker

GERNER, Matthias holds an MA in Mathematics (Paris VII), an MA in Linguistics (Paris III), an MA in Theology (Vaux-sur-Seine), a Ph.D. in Mathematics (Paris VII), a Ph.D. in Linguistics (La Trobe) and a Habilitation [Post-Doc] in Linguistics (Mainz). During 1995-1998 he was affiliated with the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences, Institute for Nationality Studies in Beijing from where he conducted extensive field research on Southwest minority languages (especially on Yi, Kadai and Miao languages). He has published one book and a number of articles on linguistics as well as on mathematical topics in a range of journals. His current research interests focus mainly on describing extreme properties of isolating languages.

~ ALL ARE WELCOME ~

Enquiry: LTenquiry@cityu.edu.hk