News & Events

News & Events Home
 News and Events Archive
CTL Research Sminar by Mr.Alex Chengyu Fang
Jump To:

Topic:  CTL Research Sminar by Mr.Alex Chengyu Fang
posted itemPosted - 28/10/2005 :  09:44:30
Dr. Liu Feng-hsi

City University of Hong Kong Department of Chinese, Translation and Linguistics Research Seminar

A Brief History of Corpus Linguistics

Presented by

Mr. Alex Chengyu Fang

Date: 26th September 2005 (Monday)
Time: 4:30 - 5:30pm
Venue: B7603(Lift3, 7/F Blue Zone),Academic Building,CityU of Hong Kong

Abstract

Corpus linguistics covers a wide range of linguistic endeavours. In this talk, I aim to give a brief description of the development of linguistic corpora. I shall first of all present a cursory outline of corpus-based linguistic studies before the advent of the computer, from the Thorndik word list to the London-Lund corpus of spoken English. I will then describe the development of some of the major computerised linguistic corpora that have been extensively exploited in linguistic research. These include the well known corpora such as Brown, ICE, and BNC. Non-principled text collections and archives will not be discussed in this talk.

About the Speaker

Alex Fang’s research areas include corpus linguistics and computational linguistics. Before joining CityU recently, he joined the Survey of English Usage, University College London in 1992 as a research assistant and worked closely with Prof. Sidney Greenbaum on the International Corpus of English. He was later appointed Deputy Director of the research centre. In 1997, he joined the Department of Linguistics and Phonetics, University College London, as a Senior Research Fellow and worked on linguistically informed speech recognition and speech synthesis systems. Since 2001, he lectured on computational linguistics and intelligent systems in the Computer Science Department, also at University College London. He’s now Honorary Senior Research Fellow of UCL.

All Are Welcome

Enquiry: LTenquiry@cityu.edu.hk