- Targeted readings including poetry, drama, scientific texts, political speeches, etc. as identified in course syllabus.
- Webster, J. (Ed.) (2009). Volumes 2, 5, 7, 8 of The Collected Works of M.A.K. Halliday (Bloomsbury)
- Webster, J. (2015). Understanding Verbal Art: A Functional Linguistic Approach (Springer)
- Hasan, R. (1989). Linguistics, Language and Verbal Art (Oxford University Press)
- Lukin, A. (Forthcoming). War and its ideologies: A social-semiotic theory and description (Springer)