Dr. CHENG, Po Suen Maria
MPhil (University of Hong Kong)
PhD (Macquarie University, Australia)
MCSAA, MHKTranslS, MHKCompLitA, MHKAG, MWIPS
- Discourse analysis (political and news discourse)
- Chinese painting
- Translation process and bilingual editing
- Audiovisual translation studies
- Bilingual Editing
- Translation for the Media
Last updated: 30 May 2018
Maria Cheng, PhD, is an academic and media worker. She has rich experience in the media industry, including advertising, broadcasting, film-making and publishing. She was the launching Editor-in-Chief of the Hong Kong editions of two international magazines, Cosmopolitan and Elle, and is the author of the books The Role of Translation in Bilingual Editing of Magazines (1994),《傳媒翻譯》 (Translation for the Media) (2004), and Essential Terms of Chinese Painting (2017). She writes and translates extensively and has over 300 publications which include SSCI & CSSCI-listed refereed papers and book chapters on political discourse, news and audiovisual translation studies, and Chinese painting. She has edited over 200 books and magazines, and is actively involved in research and publication projects.
Research Grants (as Principal Investigator)
- Competitive Earmarked Research Grant, Research Grants Council, 2005-2008, “A Psycholinguistic Approach to the Translation Process of Subtitling” (Amount Approved: $624,780).
- Strategic Research Grant, City University of Hong Kong, 2004-2007, “A Psycholinguistic Approach to the Translation Process: An Experiment with News Translators” (Amount Approved: $144,613).
- Direct Allocation Grant, City University of Hong Kong, 2001-2002, “The principles and strategies of translating-editing for the news media” (Amount Approved: $99,820).
- Strategic Research Grant, City University of Hong Kong, 1995-1997, “Localization of Global Magazines: a Socio-psychological Approach” (Amount Approved: $194,210).
- Direct Allocation Grant, Contemporary China Research Centre, CityU, 1997-1998, “A Review of Hong Kong Youth’s Ideology through the Lyrics of Chinese Popular Songs in the 90s”, (Amount Approved: $16,384).
Other research projects:
- “An Account of Traditional Chinese Painting in the 20th Century (1901-2000)”, 2012-present, collaboration with Jao Tsung-I Petite Ecole, The University of Hong Kong.
- “Essential Terms of Chinese Painting”, 2006-present, collaboration with Jao Tsung-I Petite Ecole, The University of Hong Kong.
- “TV news translating”, 2002-2003, collaboration with ATV.
Selected Publications (in recent 6 years)
- Essential Terms of Chinese Painting (Co-authors: Tang, W.H. & Choy, Eric). Hong Kong: City University of Hong Kong Press, 2017, 438p.
- 《饒宗頤書道創作匯集》(Collected Works of Calligraphy of Jao Tsung-I). Vol.1–12. Tang, W.H. (ed.), Jao Tsung-I Petite Ecole, The University of Hong Kong. 2013, 2412p. (Translation from Chinese into English).
- 《海上因緣－ 饒宗頤書畫集》(My Knot of Shanghai in Art). Tang, W.H. (ed.), Jao Tsung-I Petite Ecole, The University of Hong Kong. 2012, 144p. (Translation from Chinese into English).
- 《學藝雙攜－饒宗頤文化館開幕特展圖錄》(A Symphony of Academics and Art - Catalogue on the Opening Ceremony of Jao Tsung-I Academy). Tang, H. (ed.) Jao Tsung-I Academy. 2012, 128p. (Translation from Chinese into English).
- 《法相莊嚴－饒宗頤教授佛教藝術展圖錄》(Halo of Buddha – Buddhist Artworks by Professor Jao Tsung-I). Tang, W.H. (ed.) Jao Tsung-I Petite Ecole, The University of Hong Kong and Ginkakuji, Kyoto, Japan. 2012, 64p. (Translation from Chinese to English).
- 《傳媒翻譯》(Translation for the Media, 2nd).香港: 香港城市大學出版社. 2004, 244p.
- 《神旨人治》(Thine is the Kingdom). Hong Kong: Christian Communications Limited. 1990, 206p.
- “Critical discourse analysis of Ma’s 2012 Taiwan presidential debate discourse”, Discourse & Society, Special Issue (forthcoming). [SSCI-listed]
- “The Power of Persuasion: Modality and Issue-Framing in the 2012 Taiwan Presidential Debates”, Discourse & Society, 27(2), March 2016, pp1-23. [SSCI-listed]
- “從功能語法看新聞引述的報導動詞—以烏克蘭危機為例”.《中國翻譯》, 36(1), 2015, pp.105–109. [CSSCI-listed]
- “中國畫的話語與翻譯”.《中國翻譯》, 34(1), 2013, pp.98–102. [CSSCI-listed]
- “電影字幕的語內和語際翻譯”.《中國翻譯》, 32(4), 2011, pp.75–78 [CSSCI-listed]
- “從關聯理論探析科幻電影的字幕翻譯”. Journal of Translation Studies, 12 (1 & 2), 2009, pp.97–122.
- “中國新文學運動的再評價” (China’s Literary Renaissance: A Reassessment).《語文建設通訊》, 2009, pp.52–64, (John DeFrancis著, 紀念DeFrancis教授；紀念五四運動90周年).
- “A Representation of the Contemporary Traditional Chinese Painting: The Art of Jao Tsung-I”.《華學》9&10(5), 2008, pp.1646–1659. 上海:上海古籍出版社. (Co-author: Tang, W.H.)
- “Monologue vs Dialogue Verbal Reporting: Research Subjects' Perceptions”. (Co-author: Li, Defeng). Journal of Translation Studies, 10(1), 2007, pp.43–56.
- “Constructing a new political spectacle: tactics of Chen Shui-bian’s 2000 and 2004 Inaugural Speeches”, Discourse and Society, 17(5), 2006, pp.583–608. DOI: 1177/0957926506066297 [SSCI-listed]
- “廣告的互文性與翻譯”. Journal of Translation Studies, No 9, December 2004, pp.77–87.
- “The Standoff - what is unsaid? – A pragmatic analysis of the conditional marker ‘if’. Discourse and Society, 13(3), 2002, pp.309–317. DOI: 1177/0957926502013003050 [SSCI- listed]
- “新聞編譯的原則與策略” (The Principles and Strategies of Trans-editing for the News Media), Journal of Translation Studies, No. 7, 2002, pp.111-132.
- “全球化的文化交流 – 論旅遊報導的英漢翻譯” (A Global Intercultural Communication - Translation of Travel Writing), Journal of Translation Studies, No. 5, 2001, pp.111-126.
- “媒體語言與翻譯” (Translation and the Language of Mass Media). Journal of Translation Studies, No. 4, 2000, pp.81-94.
- “戴妃的婚外情：評香港電子媒體及印刷媒體翻譯” (Diana’s Affair – Media Translation in the Electronic and Printed Media in Hong Kong). 《中國翻譯》, Vol.127, 1998, pp.39-42. [CSSCI-listed]
- “The Art of Bilingual Editing of Magazines”. Babel, 42(2), 1996, pp.84-92. [ACHI-listed, SSCI-listed]
- “The Use of Modal Verbs in Political Debates. In The Routledge Handbook of Chinese Discourse Analysis (ed.) Shei, C. London: Routledge. (forthcoming).
- “A Window to Chinese Art: Translating Concepts and Culture in Auspicious Chinese Painting”, Section Six, pp.421–435, Translation and Cross-cultural Communication Studies in the Asia Pacific (eds.) Leong Ko and Ping Chen. Leiden, The Netherlands: Brill. 2015. DOI: 1163/9789004299245_026
- “對等和對等效應” (Equivalence and Equivalent Effect). In李德鳳 (Ed.) 《翻譯學導論: 理論與實踐》 (Introducing Translation Studies: Theories and Applications by Jeremy Munday). The Chinese University Press, 2007, pp.41-65.
- “話語分析和語域分析方法” (Discourse and Register Analysis Approaches). In李德鳳 (Ed.) 《翻譯學導論: 理論與實踐》 (Introducing Translation Studies: Theories and Applications by Jeremy Munday). The Chinese University Press, 2007, pp.111-134.