- Theoretical linguistics
- Syntax-semantics Interface
- Chinese and Cantonese Linguistics
- Cantonese linguistics
- Chinese linguistics
- Contrastive grammar between Chinese and English
Last updated: 18 December 2018
Dr. Peppina LEE received her PhD in Linguistics from the City University of Hong Kong, with her PhD dissertation having won two outstanding thesis awards. Before joining CityU in August 2006, she was Associate Professor in the Macao Polytechnic Institute (2003-2006). Dr. Lee specializes in theoretical linguistics, semantics, syntax-semantics interface, Chinese and Cantonese linguistics, and she has worked on a variety of research topics, including focus and information structure, negation, eventuality, quantification and particles. She has published or co-edited three books and more than forty single-authored/co-authored research papers in refereed journals and edited books. Her major publications appeared in Lingua, Linguistics, Journal of Pragmatics, Language and Linguistics, Linguistics and the Human Sciences, as well as ZhongguoYuwen (Studies of the Chinese Language), Dangdai Yuyanxue (Contemporary Linguistics), Yuyan Yanjiu (Studies in Language and Linguistics), Chinese Teaching in the World (Shijie Hanyu Jiaoxue) and Yuyan Kexue (Linguistic Sciences).
Her service to the field includes refereeing for conferences and for various journals such as Syntax, Lingua, Journal of Linguistics, Linguistic Inquiry, Linguistics, Journal of East Asian Linguistics, Glossa, Linguistics and the Human Sciences, Studies in Chinese Linguistics and Contemporary Linguistics. She was elected to the Executive Committee of the Linguistic Society of Hong Kong and served as Secretary for 4 years (2008-2011) and as the Vice President for two years (2012-2013). She was a member of the Executive Committee of the International Association of Chinese Linguistics (2013-2015), and is currently the Vice Executive Secretary of the Association (2016 - ).
Research Grants (as Principal Investigator)
- The Landscape of Chinese Quantifiers --- with Special Reference to Mandarin Chinese and Cantonese (Co-I: Dr. Paul Law) (HKSAR-GRF, 2014 - 2016)
- Universal Quantification in Mandarin Chinese and Cantonese (HKSAR-GRF, 2012 - 2016)
- A Semantic Investigation of Post-verbal Particles and Information Packaging in Cantonese (HKSAR-GRF, 2010 - 2013)
- A Contrastive Study of Additive Markers in Mandarin Chinese and Cantonese - Implications on Learning Chinese as a Second Language” (CityU-SRG-fd, 2017 - )
- Focus and Additivity in Cantonese and Mandarin Chinese” (CityU-SRG-fd, 2016 - )
- Restrictive Focus in Chinese - With Special Reference to Mandarin Chinese and Cantonese” (CityU-SRG-fd, 2015-2018)
- A Semantic Investigation of Post-verbal Focusing Particles in Cantonese - A Comparison with Pre-verbal focus Adverbs (SRG-Fd, 2008 - 2011)
- Information Packaging in Cantonese: A Comparative Study between Cantonese and Mandarin (SRG-Fd, 2008 - 2010)
- The Syntax and Semantics of Topics and Foci in Cantonese (SRG, 2007 - 2010)
Selected Publications (in recent 6 years)
- Lee Po-lun Peppina. (2019) Focus Manifestation in Mandarin Chinese and Cantonese: A Comparative Perspective. Book series “Routledge Studies in Chinese Linguistics”, Hongming Zhang (ed), Routledge, London.
- Lee Po-lun Peppina. (2012) Cantonese Particles and Affixal Quantification. Book series “Studies in Natural Language and Linguistic Theory”, Vol.87, Marcel den Dikken, Joan Maling & Liliane Haegeman (eds), Springer, Dordrecht.
- Chin Chi-on, Kwok Bit-chee, Lee Po-lun Peppina and Benjamin T’sou (eds, names in alphabetical order). (2009) Multi-disciplinary Approaches to Cantonese Studies: Papers from the 13th International Conference on Cantonese and Yue Dialects. Language Information Sciences Research Centre, City University of Hong Kong, PRC.
- Lee, Po-lun Peppina. (2018) “On the semantics of Cantonese pre-predicate jau5 ‘have’– an existential quantifier of assertive type”. Lingua 210-211: 95-121.
- Zhang, Lei and Lee, Po-lun Peppina. (2018) “The semantics of Chinese adverb cai in complex sentences and its licensing relation in relevant constructions.” Chinese Teaching in the World (Shijie Hanyu Jiaoxue) 32(1): 39-51.
- Li, Bin, Fan Hongli and Lee, Po-lun Peppina. (2017) “Chinese aspect marker -le and its acquisition by American English speakers.” International Journal of Chinese Linguistics1, John Benjamins: 1-21.
- Lee, Po-lun Peppina. (2016) “Non-uniformity of Chinese Negators mei(you) and bu towards Focus.” Contemporary Linguistics (Dangdai Yuyanxue) 18(3): 368-386.
- Lee Po-lun Peppina, Pan Haihua and Zhang Lei. (2013) “Chinese Adverbial Quan as a Dual-function Operator: a domain restrictor and a universal quantifier”. Linguistics and the Human Sciences 8(2), Equinox Publishing (UK): 169-204.
- Lee Po-lun Peppina. (2013) “Are Approximate Adverbs Alike? --- An interaction of approximate adverbs with negators and scale.” Studies of the Chinese Language 2013(5): 406-420.
- Wang Yingying and Lee Po-lun Peppina (2013) “Changes in the Counterfactual Context.” Studies in Logic 6(3): 56-80.
- Lee Po-lun Peppina. (2012) “Are all A-quantifiers sensitive to focus?” Contemporary Linguistics (Dangdai Yuyanxue) 14(2), Beijing, PRC: 111-128.
- Lee Po-lun Peppina and Pan Haihua. (2010) “The Landscape of Additive Particles - with special reference to the Cantonese sentence final particle ‘tim’.” Lingua 120(2010): 1777-1804.
- Lee Po-lun Peppina. (2010) “Focus Association in Chinese ---- with Focus or Focus Phrases?” Contemporary Linguistics (Dangdai Yuyanxue) 12(1), Beijing, PRC, pp. 1-13.
- Lee Po-lun Peppina, Zhang Lei and Pan Haihua. (2009) “Distributive operator ge and Some Related Issues.” Language and Linguistics 2: 293-314.
- Lee, Po-lun Peppina. (to appear) “Focus, Negators and Event Quantification in Chinese --- How focus helps shape negation in our natural language.” In Jianhua Hu & Haihua Pan (eds) Interface in Grammar [Language Faculty and Beyond (LFAB)], John Benjamins.
- Lee, Po-lun Peppina. (2017) “Quantification in Cantonese.” In Denis Paperno and Edward L. Keenan (eds) Handbook of Quantifiers in Natural Language Volume II. In the book series Studies in Linguistics and Philosophy97. Dordrecht: Springer, pp. 61-111.
- Chen, Yiya, Lee Po-lun Peppina and Pan Haihua. (2016) “Information Structure Marking in Chinese.” In Caroline Féry and Shinichiro Ishihara (eds) The Oxford Handbook of Information Structure. New York: Oxford University Press, pp. 733-754.
- Kwok, Bit-chee and Lee Po-lun Peppina. (2015) “The Origin and Grammaticalization of three universal quantifying expressions in Yue dialect” In Wu Fuxiang and Wang Guosheng (eds) Yufahua yu Yufa Yanjiu (7), Beijing: Commercial Press, pp. 25-56.
- Zhang Lei and Lee Po-lun Peppina. (2013) “A Semantic Study of the Adverb Jiu in Mandarin Chinese.” In Liu Pengyuan & Su qi (eds) Chinese Lexical Semantics, LNAI 8229. Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg: 318-327.
- Zhang Lei and Lee Po-lun Peppina. (2013) “A Semantic Study of Mandarin Cai as a Focus Adverb in Simple Sentences.” In Donghong Ji & Guozheng Xiao (eds) CLSW 2012, LNAI 7717, Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg: 685 – 695.
- Zhang Lei, Pan Haihua and Lee Po-lun Peppina. (2010) “A Semantic Study of Quan ‘all’ in Mandarin Chinese.” In Yufa Yanjiu he Tansuo (15), Beijing: Commercial Press: 136-152.