Dr. CHENG, Po Suen Maria
MPhil (University of Hong Kong)
PhD (Macquarie University, Australia)
MCSAA, MHKTranslS, MHKCompLitA, MHKAG, MWIPS
- Discourse analysis (political and news discourse)
- Chinese painting
- Translation process and bilingual editing
- Audiovisual translation studies
- Bilingual Editing
- Translation for the Media
Last updated: 15 September 2014
Maria Cheng, PhD, is an academic and media worker. She has rich experience in the media industry, including advertising, broadcasting, film-making and publishing prior to her academic pursuance. Her current research interests focus on discourse analysis, Chinese painting, translation process and bilingual editing. She has been writing and translating extensively since 1966, covering poems, prose, features, reviews, critiques, interviews, novels, subtitles, etc. Her publications include SSCI & CSSCI-listed journal articles on political discourse, news and audiovisual translation studies, and Chinese painting, a reference book titled Translation for the Media, and translations of a few Chinese painting series by Jao Tsung-i and book chapters of Jeremy Munday’s translation theories. A forthcoming book entitled The Essential Terms of Chinese Painting.
Research Grants (as Principal Investigator)
- Competitive Earmarked Research Grant, Research Grants Council, 2005-2008, “A Psycholinguistic Approach to the Translation Process of Subtitling” (Amount Approved: $624,780).
- Strategic Research Grant, City University of Hong Kong, 2004-2007, “A Psycholinguistic Approach to the Translation Process: An Experiment with News Translators” (Amount Approved: $144,613).
- Direct Allocation Grant, City University of Hong Kong, 2001-2002, “The principles and strategies of translating-editing for the news media” (Amount Approved: $99,820).
- Strategic Research Grant, City University of Hong Kong, 1995-1997, “Localization of Global Magazines: a Socio-psychological Approach” (Amount Approved: $194,210).
- Direct Allocation Grant, Contemporary China Research Centre, CityU, 1997-1998, “A Review of Hong Kong Youth’s Ideology through the Lyrics of Chinese Popular Songs in the 90s”, (Amount Approved: $16,384).
Other research projects:
- “An Account of Traditional Chinese Painting in the 20th Century (1901-2000)”, 2012-present, collaboration with Jao Tsung-I Petite Ecole, The University of Hong Kong.
- “The Essential Terms of Chinese Painting”, 2006-present, collaboration with Jao Tsung-I Petite Ecole, The University of Hong Kong.
- “TV news translating”, 2002-2003, collaboration with ATV.
Selected Publications (in recent 6 years)
- 《饒宗頤書道創作滙集》(Collected Calligraphic Works of Jao Tsung-I) (Vol.1-12).W H Tang (ed), Jao Tsung-I Petitle Ecole, The University of Hong Kong, 2013, 2412p. (Translation from Chinese into English).
- 《海上因緣 – 饒宗頤書畫集》(My Knot of Shanghai in Art), Jao Tsung-I Petite Ecole, The University of Hong Kong, Jun 2012, 144p. (Translation from Chinese into English).
- 《學藝雙攜－饒宗頤文化館開幕特展圖錄》(A Symphony of Academics and Art - Catalogue on the Opening Ceremony of Jao Tsung-I Academy), Jao Tsung-I Academy, Jun 2012, 128p. (Translation from Chinese into English).
- 《法相莊嚴 - 饒宗頤教授佛教藝術展圖錄》(Halo of Buddha – Buddhist Artworks by Professor Jao Tsung-I), Jao Tsung-I Petite Ecole, The University of Hong Kong and Ginkakuji, Kyoto, Japan, 2012, 64p. (Translation from Chinese into English).
- 《饒宗頤藝術創作滙集》Collected Art Works of Jao Tsung-I (Vol.1-12), Jao Tsung-I Petitle Ecole, The University of Hong Kong, 2006. (Translation from Chinese into English).
- 《傳媒翻譯》(Translation for the Media), 2nd ed. Hong Kong: City University of Hong Kong Press, 2006, 244pp.
- “中國畫的話語與翻譯”(Discourse and Translation of Chinese Painting),《中國翻譯》(Chinese Translators Journal), (CSSCI listed), 2012, pp.98-102.
- 〈電影字幕的語內和語際翻譯〉,《中國翻譯》(Chinese Translators Journal, No.4, 2011, pp.75-78. (CSSCI listed)
- 〈從關聯理論探析科幻電影的字幕翻譯〉,《翻譯學報》(Journal of Translation Studies), No 12 (1 & 2), 2009, pp.97-122.
- 〈中國新文學運動的再評價〉(China’s Literary Renaissance: A Reassessment)”, 《語文建設通訊》, Hong Kong, PRC, 2009, pp 52-64, (John DeFrancis 著, 鄭寶璇、姚德懷譯 (紀念DeFrancis 教授；紀念五四運動90 周年)).
- “A Representation of the Contemporary Traditional Chinese Painting: The Art of Jao Tsung-I”, 《華學》Sinological Studies, 9, 2008, pp 1646-1659. (Co-author: Tang Wai Hung).
- “Constructing a new political spectacle: tactics of Chen Shui-bian’s 2000 and 2004 Inaugural Speeches”, Discourse and Society, Vol.17 (No.5), 2006, pp.583-608. (SSCI listed)
- "Monolgue vs Dialogue Verbal Reporting: Research Subjects' Perceptions", (Co-author: LI, D.F.) Journal of Translation Studies, Vol.10 (No.1), 2007, pp.43-56.
- “A Window to Chinese Art: Translating Concepts and Culture in Auspicious Chinese Painting”, Translation and Cross-cultural Communication Studies in the Asia Pacific, Amsterdam: Rodopi, 2014 (forthcoming).
- “Acclaims, Attacks, Defenses: Modality Analysis of Ma Ying-jeou's 2012 Taiwan Presidential Debates Discourse", Discourse and Politics in the Global South, Teun A, van Dijk and Michelle Lazar (eds), United Kingdom: Palgrave Macmillan, 2014 (forthcoming).
- "Equivalence and Equivalent Effect” (對等和對等效應), 《翻譯學導論: 理論與實踐》,李德鳳 (ed), Introducing Translation Studies: Theories and Applications by Jeremy Munday, The Chinese University Press, Hong Kong, PRC, 2007, pp.41-65. (Co-translator: 楊曉軍)
- "Discourse and Register Analysis Approaches" (話語分析和語域分析方法), 《翻譯學導論: 理論與實 踐》,李德鳳 (ed), Introducing Translation Studies: Theories and Applications by Jeremy Munday, The Chinese University Press, Hong Kong, Hong Kong, PRC, 2007, pp.111-134.