- Theoretical linguistics
- Syntax-semantics Interface
- Chinese and Cantonese Linguistics
- Cantonese linguistics
- Chinese linguistics
- Contrastive grammar between Chinese and English
Last updated: 07 September 2015
Dr. Peppina LEE received her PhD in Linguistics from the City University of Hong Kong in 2004, with her PhD dissertation having won two outstanding thesis awards. Before joining CityU in August 2006, she was Associate Professor in the Macao Polytechnic Institute (2003-2006). Dr. Lee specializes in theoretical linguistics, semantics, syntax-semantics interface, Chinese and Cantonese linguistics, and she has worked on a variety of research topics, including focus and information structure, negation, eventuality, quantification and particles. She has completed four projects as Principal Investigator, and two projects are on-going. She has published or co-edited two books --- the recent one Cantonese Particles and Affixal Quantification (published by Springer, under the series “Studies in Natural Language and Linguistic Theory”, 2012), and more than fifty research papers in refereed journals, edited books and conference proceedings. Her major publications appeared in Lingua, Linguistics, Journal of Pragmatics, Language and Linguistics, Linguistics and the Human Sciences, ZhongguoYuwen (Studies of the Chinese Language), Dangdai Yuyanxue (Contemporary Linguistics), Yuyan Yanjiu (Studies in Language and Linguistics), Chinese Teaching in the World (Shijie Hanyu Jiaoxue), Chinese Linguistics (Hanyu Xuebao,) and Yuyan Kexue (Linguistic Sciences).
Her service to the field includes refereeing for conferences and for various journals such as Syntax, Lingua, Journal of Linguistics, Linguistics, Journal of East Asian Linguistics, Linguistics and the Human Sciences, Studies in Chinese Linguistics and Contemporary Linguistics. She was elected to the Executive Committee of the Linguistic Society of Hong Kong and served as Secretary for 4 years (2008-2011) and as the Vice President for two years (2012-2013). She is currently a member of the Executive Committee of the International Association of Chinese Linguistics (2013-2015).
Research Grants (as Principal Investigator)
- The Landscape of Chinese Quantifiers --- with Special Reference to Mandarin Chinese and Cantonese (HKSAR-GRF, 2014 - )
- Universal Quantification in Mandarin Chinese and Cantonese (HKSAR-GRF, 2012 - )
- A Semantic Investigation of Post-verbal Particles and Information Packaging in Cantonese (HKSAR-GRF, 2010 - 2013)
- A Semantic Investigation of Post-verbal Focusing Particles in Cantonese - A Comparison with Pre-verbal focus Adverbs (SRG-Fd, 2008 - 2011)
- Information Packaging in Cantonese: A Comparative Study between Cantonese and Mandarin (SRG-Fd, 2008 - 2010)
- The Syntax and Semantics of Topics and Foci in Cantonese (SRG, 2007 - 2010)
Selected Publications (in recent 6 years)
- Lee Po-lun Peppina. (2012) Cantonese Particles and Affixal Quantification. Book series “Studies in Natural Language and Linguistic Theory”, Vol.87, Marcel den Dikken, Joan Maling & Liliane Haegeman (eds), Springer, Dordrecht.
- Chin Chi-on, Kwok Bit-chee, Lee Po-lun Peppina and Benjamin T’sou (eds, names in alphabetical order). (2009) Multi-disciplinary Approaches to Cantonese Studies: Papers from the 13th International Conference on Cantonese and Yue Dialects. Language Information Sciences Research Centre, City University of Hong Kong, PRC.
- Lee Po-lun Peppina, Pan Haihua and Zhang Lei. (2013) “Chinese Adverbial Quan as a Dual-function Operator: a domain restrictor and a universal quantifier”. Linguistics and the Human Sciences 8(2), Equinox Publishing (UK): 169-204.
- Lee Po-lun Peppina. (2013) “Are Approximate Adverbs Alike? --- An interaction of approximate adverbs with negators and scale.” Studies of the Chinese Language 2013(5): 406-420.
- Wang Yingying and Lee Po-lun Peppina (2013) “Changes in the Counterfactual Context.” Studies in Logic 6(3): 56-80.
- Lee Po-lun Peppina. (2012) “Are all A-quantifiers sensitive to focus?” Contemporary Linguistics 14(2), Beijing, PRC: 111-128.
- Lee Po-lun Peppina and Pan Haihua. (2010) “The Landscape of Additive Particles - with special reference to the Cantonese sentence final particle ‘tim’.” Lingua 120(2010): 1777-1804.
- Lee Po-lun Peppina. (2010) “Focus Association in Chinese ---- with Focus or Focus Phrases?” Contemporary Linguistics 12(1), Beijing, PRC: 1-13.
- Lee Po-lun Peppina, Zhang Lei and Pan Haihua. (2009) “Distributive operator ge and Some Related Issues.” Language and Linguistics 2: 293-314.
- Lee Po-lun Peppina, Zhang Lei and Pan Haihua. (2009) “The Co-occurrence of Chinese Universal Quantifying Adverbs/Distributive Operators – with special reference to dou, ge and quan.” Chinese Linguistics, 27(3), Beijing, Commercial Press: 59-70.
- Zhang Lei and Lee Po-lun Peppina. (2013) “A Semantic Study of the Adverb Jiu in Mandarin Chinese.” In Liu Pengyuan & Su qi (eds) Chinese Lexical Semantics, LNAI 8229. Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg: 318-327.
- Zhang Lei and Lee Po-lun Peppina. (2013) “A Semantic Study of Mandarin Cai as a Focus Adverb in Simple Sentences.” In Donghong Ji & Guozheng Xiao (eds) CLSW 2012, LNAI 7717, Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg: 685 – 695.
- Zhang Lei, Pan Haihua and Lee Po-lun Peppina. (2010) “A Semantic Study of Quan ‘all’ in Mandarin Chinese.” In Yufa Yanjiu he Tansuo (15), Beijing: Commercial Press: 136-152.
- Lee Po-lun Peppina and Pan Haihua. (2009) “The Semantics of Cantonese Lexical Quantifier –saai ‘all’.” Current Issues in Unity and Diversity of Languages: Collection of the paper selected from the CIL-18. The Linguistic Society of Korea: 3627-3650.