- Political discourse
- Colonialism and Postcolonialism
- Politics of translation
- Practical translation and interpretation
- GE course “Reading Colonialism and the Modern Experience”.
Last updated: 01 July 2016
Richard Sheung was a translator with the Hong Kong government before beginning his academic career with City Polytechnic of Hong Kong in 1987.
His research interests are in political discourse, colonialism and postcolonialism, and the politics of translation.
He teaches courses in practical translation and interpretation, as well as the GE course “Reading Colonialism and the Modern Experience”.
Selected Publications (in recent 6 years)
- “Reading Colonial Hong Kong,” Localities, Vol. 3, 2013, 181-186.
- “Translating Governor Patten,” Cultures in Dialogue: A Translational Perspective, Said, Faiq (ed.), Antwerp-Apeldoorn: Garant Publishers, 2010, 101-115.
- “The translation of cultural modernity—50 years on,” Intercultural communications, Representations and Practices: A Global Approach, Sarmento, Clara & Oliveira, Victoria (ed.), Centro de Estudoa Interculturais, Porto, Portugal, 2013, 55-68.
- “Reflections on Hong Kong’s culture of translation,” Selected Papers of The Fourth China-ASEAN Education Week, 2011, 151-153.
- “Critical Reading and Discovery in General Education,” Proceedings of General Education and University Curriculum Reform: an International Conference in Hong Kong, 2013, 44-49