- Computational linguistics
- Machine translation
- Text mining, Web mining
- Terminology, computational terminology
- Linguistics, psycholinguistics, language acquisition
- Poetry, computational poetry/poetics
- Taichi and Chinese philosophy
- Computational linguistics / language technology / linguistic computing / Chinese computing
- Machine translation / translation technology / computer-aided translation
- Programming / computer programming for language studies / translation tools development
- Corpus linguistics
- Introduction to linguistics / general linguistics
- Electronic publishing / information retrieval and text processing / parsing
Last updated: 28 December 2016
Dr. Kit is a computational linguist currently teaching and researching in computational linguistics and machine translation in the Department of Linguistics and Translation. He joined the City University in September 1996. He obtained his BEng degree in computer science and technology from Tsinghua University (1985), MSc in computational linguistics from Carnegie Mellon University (1994) and PhD in computer science from the University of Sheffield (2001). He also holds an MA degree in applied linguistics from the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences (1988) and an MPhil in Linguistics from the City Polytechnic (later renamed University) of Hong Kong (1993). He was one of the youngest among those who pioneered Chinese language processing in the mid-1980s when he started his academic career in the Institute of Applied Linguistics, Ministry of Education, PRC. His research interests also include text mining, terminology, Chinese linguistics, psycholinguistics, poetry/poetics, and Taichi (Taijiquan) as a unique living embodiment of Chinese philosophy. He is a Chinese poet too. He has published over 100 research papers in academic journals (including Information Sciences, International Journal of Corpus Linguistics, Journal of Artificial Intelligence Research, Journal of Chinese Information Processing, Journal of Computer Science and Technology, Law Library Journal, Literary and Linguistic Computing, Machine Translation, and Terminology) and international conferences (including ACL, COLING, CoNLL, EMNLP and IJCAI). He has also contributed chapters to a number of books, including Language Acquisition, Change and Emergence (City University of Hong Kong Press, 2005), Linguistics (China Remin University Press, 2013), and The Routledge Encyclopedia of Translation Technology (Routledge, 2015).
Research Grants (as Principal Investigator)
- Develop a large scale Chinese reading corpus for machine learning of unconscious word segmentation from eye movements (HK$1M: GRF $953.3K + CityU top-up $47.7K; 2017-2019)
- Dependency parsing as sequential modeling (CTL Top-up Fund HK$180K; 2011-2013)
- Developing language resources and facilities to enhance the automation of bilingual legal drafting in Hong Kong (GRF HK$761.6K; 2011-2014)
- Mining language resources for HK bilingual legal drafting (CityU SRG HK$160K; 2009-2011)
- Discovering Chinese new words on the web for linguistic studies (CityU SRG HK$180K; 2008-2010)
- A pilot study of learning from examples to translate better (CityU SRG HK$180K; 2007-2009)
- Unknown word detection for Chinese word segmentation (CityU SRG HK$180K; 2006-2008)
- Corpus-based studies of HK legal terminology based on very large corpora (RGC CERG HK$816K; 2003-2007)
- Automatic language learning from naturally-occurring Chinese texts (CityU SRG HK$390K; 1997-1999)
Selected Publications (in recent 6 years)
- Ruifeng Xu and Chunyu Kit (Guest editors). 2011. Special Issue: Selected papers from IJCPOL 2011, International Journal of Computer Processing of Languages, 23(4).
- Xiaojun Quan and Chunyu Kit. 2015. Towards non‐monotonic sentence alignment. Information Sciences, 323:34-47.
- Hai Zhao, Xiaotian Zhang and Chunyu Kit. 2013. Integrative semantic dependency parsing via efficient large-scale feature selection. Journal of Artificial Intelligence Research, 46:203–233.
- Ruifeng Xu and Chunyu Kit. 2011. Learning multiple level features for opinion analysis. Special Issue: Selected papers from IJCPOL 2011, International Journal of Computer Processing of Languages, 23(4):349–371.
- Hai Zhao and Chunyu Kit. 2011. Integrating unsupervised and supervised word segmentation: The role of goodness measures. Information Sciences, 181(1):163–183.
- Billy Wong and Chunyu Kit. 2009. ATEC: automatic evaluation of machine translation via word choice and word order. Machine Translation, 23(2):141–155.
- Chunyu Kit and Xiaoyue Liu. 2008. Measuring mono-word termhood by rank difference via corpus comparison. Terminology, 14(2):204–229.
- Hai Zhao, and Chunyu Kit. 2008. Scaling conditional random fields by one-against-the-other decomposition. Journal of Computer Science and Technology, 23(4):612–619.
- Guohong Fu, Chunyu Kit, and Jonathan J. Webster. 2008. Chinese word segmentation as morpheme-based lexical chunking. Information Sciences, 178(9):2282–2296.
- Chunyu Kit and Tak Ming Wong. 2008. Comparative evaluation of online machine translation systems with legal texts. Law Library Journal, 100(2):299–321.
Chunyu Kit and Tak-Ming Wong. 2015. Evaluation in machine translation and computer-aided translation. Chapter 12 in Sin-wai Chan (ed.), The Routledge Encyclopedia of Translation Technology, pp. 213-236. Routledge.
Chunyu Kit and Jian-Yun Nie. 2015. Information retrieval and text mining. Chapter 31 in Sin-wai Chan (ed.), The Routledge Encyclopedia of Translation Technology, pp. 494-535. Routledge.
- Chunyu Kit. 2013. Recent advances in computational linguistics. In Jenny Wang and Dongdong Chen (eds.), Linguistics, pp. 585-633. China Renmin University Press.
- Xiaona Ren, Xiao Chen, and Chunyu Kit. 2013. Combine constituent and dependency parsing via reranking. In IJCAI 2013, pp. 2155-2161.
- Xiaojun Quan, Chunyu Kit, and Yan Song. 2013. Non-monotonic sentence alignment via semi-supervised learning. In ACL 2013, Vol. 1, pp. 622-630.
- Billy T.M. Wong and Chunyu Kit. 2012. Extending machine translation evaluation metrics with lexical cohesion to document level. In EMNLP-CoNLL 2012, pp.1060-1068.
- Xiao Chen and Chunyu Kit. 2012. Higher-order constituent parsing and parser combination. In ACL 2012, Vol. 2, pp.1-5.
- Hai Zhao, Wenliang Chen, and Chunyu Kit. 2009. Semantic dependency parsing of NomBank and PropBank: An efficient integrated approach via a large-scale feature selection. In EMNLP 2009, pp.30-39.
- Hai Zhao, Yan Song, Chunyu Kit, and Guodong Zhou. 2009. Cross language dependency parsing using a bilingual lexicon. In ACL-IJCNLP 2009, pp.55-63.
- Hai Zhao, Wenliang Chen, Chunyu Kit, and Guodong Zhou. 2009. Multilingual dependency learning: A huge feature engineering method to semantic dependency parsing. In CoNLL 2009: Shared task, pp. 55-60.
- Hai Zhao and Chunyu Kit. 2008. Parsing syntactic and semantic dependencies with two single-stage maximum entropy models. In CoNLL 2008, pp.203-207.